Men's outdoor apparel has come a long way in recent years. Hiking shorts are specifically designed for maximum comfort, performance, and style for men. If you have an outdoor adventure on your agenda, you'll want to get the right hiking shorts to make the most of your experience. Here's an overview of what to look for and top recommendations on the market today.
When shopping for men's hiking shorts, there are a few key features to look out for:
- Quick Dry Fabric - You'll likely encounter water on the trails, so quick-dry nylon or polyester is essential. This will keep you cool and dry faster after getting wet.
- UPF Protection - Hiking shorts with built-in UPF protection will block UV rays, helping prevent sunburns on your legs.
- Stretch Fabric - Look for shorts made of stretch woven fabric or soft shell fabric with spandex added. This allows for a full range of motion.
- Cargo Pockets - Multiple large cargo pockets give you room to carry trail essentials and snacks for the journey.
- Partial Lining - A partial mesh lining increases comfort and ventilation for sweltering summer hikes.
Taking the above features into consideration, here are top recommendations on hiking shorts to get you through any outdoor adventure:
Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo Short
- Omni-shade UPF 50 sun protection
- Omni-wick moisture management fabric
- Mesh vented side pockets
- Zip closure back pockets, hook & loop closure cargo pockets
- Active stretch allows for ease of movement
prAna Stretch Zion Short
- Stretch Zion fabric is lightweight, quick-dye & durable
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- DWR finish sheds moisture
- Air Flow mesh waistband lining
- Multiple pockets, including zip security pocket
Kuhl Renegade Cargo Short
- UPF 50 sun protection
- Quick-dry super suede fabric made of recycled plastic bottles
- Kinetic stretch woven fabric for flexibility
- Mesh ventilation in seam behind knees
- Zip fly with snap closure & credit card pockets
The North Face Paramount Peak Cargo Short
- Fast-drying, abrasion-resistant ripstop fabric
- UPF 50 sun protection
- Mesh-lined back yoke for ventilation
- Snap closure, zip fly & inner brief
- Utility pockets on hips & cargo pockets on legs
Gear Up for Your Next Hike
Having the right hiking shorts makes all the difference when you're out on the trails. Choose a pair made of moisture-wicking, UPF protective, and stretch fabric like one of the top recommendations here. Then, you can focus on enjoying spectacular views rather than discomfort. With a pair of quality men's hiking shorts in your backpack, you're ready for your next big adventure!